Saturday, September 7, 2013

Money Saving, Time Saving, Stromboli…

I came across this great pin on Pinterest for Stromboli from Shatzi at Love and Laundry.  I modified it a little bit for the convenience of our family and it turned out so yummy!!  It only takes about 5 minutes to prepare, and 30 minutes to bake.  It is kid friendly, even my picky-eater-kid-friendly.  The best part is, it looks amazing too!!  It is a great dish for entertaining or taking to someone who is sick.
stromboli
We use our Zojirushi bread maker to make our dough, here’s the link to the recipe.  I use Cooking on Clover Lane’s dough recipe which has a little bit of brown sugar in it that makes the dough perfectly sweet.  If you don’t have a bread machine you can use your own favorite pizza dough recipe.
Here’s the recipe:
Stromboli
  • Pizza dough
  • Prego Sauce
  • Deli ham, we use Boar’s Head honey maple
  • Sliced provolone
  • Onion powder(only because my kids won’t eat real onions)
  • Sliced olives
  • Egg
  • Parsley
Cook at 375 degrees for 30 minutes.
The dough I make usually makes two, small Stromboli.  I roll out the dough on a cookie sheet…
IMG_4620
Then spoon some Prego sauce on top and sprinkle onion powder(if you have picky kids like mine) or use real onions;)…
IMG_4621
Next, spread out a layer of deli ham…
IMG_4622
And then a layer of provolone cheese slices and sliced olives…
IMG_4624
Fold over both sides so they overlap, and then use toothpicks to hold the edges together.  Make sure to tuck and toothpick the ends tightly so that the Prego doesn’t ooze out, and be sure to count your toothpicks so that you know how many to pull out when it is done!!  I rub the dough with an egg wash and then sprinkle parsley on top.  I bake mine on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet for 30 minutes at 375 degrees.
IMG_4626
I let mine sit for ten minutes or so and pull out the toothpicks and then slice on an angle to serve.
stromboli
Look how pretty it looks!!  And it cost less than $8.00 to feed 4 people!!
IMG_4628
And the leftovers are great the next day, too!!  This is our favorite “go to” meal and I love that it is budget friendly!!  Couldn’t be a better combo!!
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your comments, I love hearing from you and I love new followers!