Thursday, February 23, 2012

Angry Birds Birthday Party


***My blog has moved over to WordPress.com!  Follow the link http://www.sewsweetcottage.com/2012/02/angry-birds-birthday-party/and move on over with me!!***
Justin turned nine years old this year and he has never had a birthday party with his friends. It just seemed like an impossible situation where I would be throwing a party for a child who didn’t like noisy, unpredictable situations and he would be miserable!!  Instead, we’ve always had a fun, themed party with just our own family.  When I was thinking of a good party theme for Justin this year,  I finally came up with an Angry Birds party theme!  He loves playing angry birds on his iPad! 

I searched on Pinterest and found some of the most amazing Angry Birds parties ideas!  And then I came across this party from Simply Styled Home and how they did a life-sized version of Angry Birds.  I showed it to my husband and we decided that this would be a perfect party for Justin, and then it hit us that we really could have a friends party this year because the life-sized game would be perfect—it's outside, active, appropriate for spontaneous squeals of joy, and not based on verbal skills:)  HOORAY!!

So we invited Justin's Cub Scout group.  I have to give a small shout out to this amazing group... Justin has been in Cub Scouts for a year now and I cannot begin to tell you what a blessing that has been to our family.  My son doesn’t attend school, and has a really difficult time attending church meetings—so we were shocked to find out that Justin LOVES scouts.  It makes me tear up just thinking about it!   It is his only typical peer interaction that has ever been successful.  It is because of an inspired Cub Scoutmaster who invited my husband and me to introduce Justin to the troop and talk about Autism. And also due to the unconditional love of these wonderful boys who don't get upset when Justin is having a bad day.
That combination has made miracles happen.  Now I have to get a tissue, so I’m going to move on to the party planning story…

I read about the life-size game from Simply Styled Home, and this is how our version turned out…DSC_0538DSC_0542DSC_0543

And here’s my husband’s original design of the catapult
DSC_0544DSC_0571

and my favorite shots of the party…
DSC_0572
DSC_0574

We also had a piñata fashioned after one I saw at All Things Thrifty

And here’s the rest of the party shenanigans…



 Sometimes we consider a family outing a success on whether Justin just endured the event without having a meltdown, but not only did he endure it---he ENJOYED it!!!!  Justin did change his own party plans and pulled up his own chair to the candy table to sit for his cupcake.  But everyone just went with it and surrounded him and sang Happy Birthday, and it couldn’t have worked out better.  So appropriate for him to be at the candy table which is one of his true loves!

My husband and I had a blast planning this party, and I love getting into the details—I admit it!!  But the whole reason I do it is because it’s an outlet for me and an expression of love to my family….and to my pleasant surprise, we were able to catch such a sweet moment on film memory card!

DSC_0703

***Update 5/5/13 Here's the link to my new post with dimensions for the catapult http://www.sewsweetcottage.blogspot.com/2013/05/diy-angry-birds-catapultlife-size.html ***
 
I am linking to the following parties!
  Ladybird Ln I Heart Nap Time Keeping It Simple Raising Oranges Making A Diamond in the Stuff Pincushion Creations A Crafty Soiree Fine Craft Guild mop it up mondays Creative Itch Photobucket It's OVerflowing Whipperberry Somewhat Simple HookingupwithHoH Sew Happy Geek The Taylor House Design Dazzle wednesday's wowzers One Artsy Mama Goings on in Texas I'm Topsy Turvy Skip To My Lou
Pin It!

11 comments:

  1. Just saw your Angry Bird Party and thought that was the coolest thing ever. Good to hear from you guys. Hope all is well. Take Care, Steve W.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am SO happy that Justin's den/pack have been so good to him! His Cubmaster truly is inspired! And I am SO thankful for the Cub Scout program! Lord Baden-Powell truly was inspired to create a program for boys that really does appeal to ALL boys (if the leaders are carrying out the program with the right attitude/spirit - which sounds like that is what Justin's Cub Scout leaders are doing!) Yay!!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww...how special your son must have felt! That looks like a super fun party - very cool!
    Thanks for linking up this week!
    Stacey of Embracing Change

    ReplyDelete
  4. just too COOL.... we will be copying this idea for my son's birthday in october i am sure

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a child on the spectrum too, so I was so happy to read how special your party was. It looks like everyone had a great time and Justin has a wondeful memory. Would you be willing to share your party on my linky party Dare to Share?

    Pam
    http://pamspartyplanning.blogspot.com/2012/05/dare-to-share-6.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shannon, This is such a great party idea. Looks like Justin (great name by the way, I have one too and he just turned 16) had a great time. Beautiful pictures and great memories. You are an amazing Mom and I wish you the best of Mother's Days.

    Thanks so much for linking up to Creative Thursday this week. I can't wait to see what you link up next week. Have a wonderful weekend.

    Hugs,
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  7. Any chance that you could share the dimensions on your catapult? I came across this and would love to try this idea this year. THanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I will send you the dimensions:) My husband and I are working on a full tutorial post too!!

      Thanks!
      Shannon@SewSweetCottage

      Delete
  8. Hello! I'm also looking to build your amazing catapault, would you mind sending or posting the dimensions for me?

    If you don't mind sharing, that'd be so great.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello! Would you mind emailing me or posting the dimensions for this amazing catapult as well? That'd be so great!

    jordymugordy @ gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your comments, I love hearing from you and I love new followers!