Monday, June 11, 2012

Patriotic burlap bunting…

I love decorating my mantel for the holidays, and I love buntings—so naturally I felt I had to make a patriotic bunting for the summer.  I got my inspiration from this post at Sugar Tot Designs.
DSC_0630
I wanted it to be more rustic than cute so I used burlap and a burnt umber colored fabric instead of bright red.  I love how it looks in my great room!!
Here’s how I made it.
1. I measured my fireplace mantel and then divided the total number of inches by three (which I will call measurement A).
2. I took a paper grocery sack and cut it open and then measured the length of one bunting (measurement A).
3. Next I folded the measurement A paper sack in half and cut a half arch so when unfolded I had my desired half circle for the bunting (pattern B).
4.  I cut 2 red fabric half circles, and one blue fabric half circle using pattern B, these are your largest half circles that are your base for each bunting.
DSC_0563
5.  Next I cut about 2 inches of the outside edge of pattern B and then cut 3 pieces of burlap, these are your middle half circles.
6.  Cut pattern B one more time, about 2 more inches, and then cut 2 blue fabrics and 1 red fabric using the newly cut pattern B, these will be your smallest bunting pieces.
7.  I sewed a zig zag stitch around the edge of the largest half circles first, in a contrasting color (cream).
DSC_0621
8.  Then I pinned the burlap circles and pinned them to the larger circles and then stitched them together using a contrasting zig zag stitch (red).
9.  Next I pinned the 2 blue and 1 red smallest half circle to each bunting and stitched with a contrasting zig zag stitch (cream).
10.  I measured a piece of twine to the length of my fireplace mantel and then zig zag stitched (at the top of each bunting) all three buntings together.
DSC_0613DSC_0628
I love leaving this up all through June and July!!  We have a family tradition of getting Old Navy flag shirts every year and taking a family picture.  Last year we took them with my bunting—and it was the perfect backdrop!!
Can’t wait to take some this year with our baby girl!!
*** UPDATE*** Be sure to check out my new, updated version with chevron fabric!! http://sewsweetcottage.blogspot.com/2013/05/happy-memorial-day.html

I am linking to the following parties!
Ladybird Ln I Heart Nap Time Keeping It Simple Raising Oranges Making A Diamond in the Stuff Pincushion Creations A Crafty Soiree Fine Craft Guild mop it up mondays Creative Itch Photobucket It's OVerflowing Whipperberry Somewhat Simple HookingupwithHoH Sew Happy Geek The Taylor House Design Dazzle wednesday's wowzers One Artsy Mama Goings on in TexasI'm Topsy Turvy Skip To My Lou
Pin It!

12 comments:

  1. This is lovely! I like how you used more muted colours. I wonder if I could swing a similar one using just red and white for Canada Day on July 1st?? I'll keep you posted!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! Man...this Summer Fun Party is going to drive my husband nuts because of all the great things I'm going to want to do around the house now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Shannon! I'm not a "sew"-er but may become one after seeing all your great projects!!! Visiting from Happy-Go-Lucky and I'm a new Follower. I hope you get a chance to Follow Me, too, if you'd like:-)
    http://www.feellovdeveryday.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are really pretty!! This is yet another tutorial that makes me want to take the plunge into sewing. Thank you for sharing!!!

    -Kylie
    absolutelyarkansas.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this banner. What a great idea to incorporate all those materials. I'm a new follower btw. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So delighted to discover you through the Summer {fun} Party! I love the vintage feel of your patriotic banner! Pinning it!

    Jenn/Rook No. 17

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE this.. So fun and creative.. I am stopping by to join your blog happily as a follower.. I'm Marilyn, co-host via summer blog party.. Very beautiful blog you have here.. So delighted to be joining in your fun.. I look forward to getting to know you ;)) Wishing you a beautiful evening.. xo~ Marilyn http://www.theartsygirlconnection.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice! I like the rustic rough edge feel to it. Thank you so much for sharing at Etcetorize this week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is one of the cutest things EVER. Just pinned it. I really want to try to make it. I just got a sewing machine. I have no experience. My biggest fear is cutting and measuring. I am not patient. I just adore this!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your comments, I love hearing from you and I love new followers!