Thursday, June 14, 2012

Sick in the Summertime...

It wouldn’t be right for us to not get sick at least once during the summer, and so we spent this week taking our turn.  I was born a worrier and my already high anxiety level doesn’t fare well when the kids get sick!!  It gets worse when it’s Justin—and he was the one struck the hardest this week.  So we’ve been in survival mode only this week, and didn’t have any therapies.
I decided that I might write a new series of posts entitled “Dear Autism…”  I have SO much stuff running through my head when I’m trying to cope with the day and Justin destroyed a couch cushion this week and I thought, “Dear Autism, please stop telling him to do that!!”
So here’s my “Dear Autism’s” for this past week…
  • Dear Autism, Please stop telling Justin that all the cushions of the couches in the house need to be thrown on the floor.  And PLEASE, please stop telling him to  unzip all their cases and pick apart the stuffing…
  • Dear Autism, Please stop telling Justin that he’s really not tired in the middle of the night.  Especially when he’s sick and needs his sleep!!
  • Dear Autism, I admire that you are allowing Justin to be “typical” at times, but the laughing at Little Miss when she fell down this week was probably not the best time for him to be a “typical” peer!
  • Dear Autism, As we meet a new Psychologist for some testing—please don’t tell Justin that is a good time to try some new “odd” behaviors.  And besides that, please don’t tell him to try something new like run down the halls and open all the doors to the offices….or to pretend like he's going to fall through the railing on the 2nd floor.
  • Dear Autism, As the new psychologist is blocking Justin in the hallway so he can’t escape, please don’t cheer Justin on to become a football player and try to take her out—and accidentally pull her shirt off her shoulder.
So there you have it!!  Those are the funny snippets of the week!!  So if you see the guy named Autism, let him know I have some polite requests;)
Even though we were in survival mode this week, the “un-sick” kids still carried on with our Summer “Homeschooling” program (lots of great workbooks and lessons).  Little Miss has already figured out the secret to success is to get it done as fast as she can so she can create things like this…
DSC_0671
She could do this kind of stuff ALL DAY!!  I love it!!  Give her some paper, and she’ll come up with some kind of masterpiece!!  Hope you all had a great, healthy week full of creative fun!!  Or at least relaxing fun:)
Pin It!

5 comments:

  1. Shannon! I'm sorry you have had a rough week! You totally SHOULD start a "Dear Autism" series - what a great way to vent. Plus it gives us a unique window to your world, and promotes awareness for others. I loooove that idea! I should do something like that for my Sensory Processing Disorder blog, to keep it more current.

    Hugs to you. Hope the weekend is more calm (and healthy!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a week you've had! Illness is the worse! Add in busy kids an a side order of Autism and you have to be SuperMom! Hopefully the weekend will turn things around and next week will be better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. aspen LOVES the play house E made for her. :) It's her SPECIAL toy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you guys are "homeschooling" during the summer. We do that too! Do you guys homeschool regularly Shannon? I am not sure if I have read that on your blog or not. Also I love this post. Keep them coming. I am a teacher specifically for a little girl at church who is Autistic. It is always good to hear others views and stuff on it. She is such a sweet girl and I love working with her. She teaches me so much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey there! I found you via the hop and I’m your newest adoring follower! Maybe you could follow back? Also I’d just love for you to come check out a giveaway I’m having that ends tomorrow!! Hope to see you there!

    Thanks so much!
    Xo, Emily

    http://emilymmeyers.blogspot.com/2012/06/sponsord-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your comments, I love hearing from you and I love new followers!