Thursday, April 12, 2012

First nine-patch for Little Miss…

Spring break for our family means a break from school, lessons, and carpooling!!  Last week was a nice relief from all the regular day-to-day grind.  I can’t live without some sort of schedule though, even if it’s just in my mind, but I mapped out a schedule for Little Miss of one small activity per day.  I mean very small, like one hour, that she gets to learn something new or do something fun.
I told her I would teach her how to use the sewing machine and make a quilt block.  So she cut out a two inch by two inch strip of paper and pinned it to her two fabrics so she could cut them out.
Then she sewed the strips together and I taught her how to cut them out and pin them to make a nine-patch.
DSC_0335
It took about an hour, and this is her finished block…
DSC_0350
My favorite thing about teaching her how to quilt, wasn’t the actual quilting, but just admiring her determination and enthusiasm to learn something new.  I love how different my kids personalities are and how they each are uniquely essential to balancing out our family dynamics.  Little Miss is a sweet example to me of patience and every time I look at this square, I will think of that!!

Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Shannon,

    I am your newest follower. I LOVE all the crafting you have on your blog. I would like to invite you over to my first link party and would love it if you shared some nifty ideas.

    www.michellestastycreations.blogspot.com.

    Hugs,
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your comments, I love hearing from you and I love new followers!