Tuesday, March 13, 2012

DIY Bulletin Board…



***My blog has moved over to WordPress.com!  Follow the link http://www.sewsweetcottage.com/2012/03/diy-bulletin-board/and move on over with me!!***

I needed something to hang over little Miss’ new desk but I couldn’t find something the right size for the space.  It needed to be large enough to balance the size of the desk, and I already arranged a collage of pictures on a different wall in her room.  So I found a mirror that used to be hanging in our dining room that I had purchased from Marshalls for $30.
I replaced the mirror with cork board that I wrapped with a thin layer of batting and then fabric.  I tried making cute diamond patterns out of ribbon, and ended up ripping it all off!!  It was too busy, and I figured it’s going to be covered up with little Miss’ artwork anyway!!
Here’s how it turned out…
356
I bought some giant push pins for her board, but decided they needed some “dressing up.”  So I cut 2 circles(2 inches and 3 inches) in coordinating pieces of fabric.  I cut around the edges with pinking shears and then cut a slit in the middle of each one with scissors.  Then I hot-glued them to the pin which made them look “gathered”—I love happy accidents!!  Then I hot-glued a button on top of each of them.
Here’s a closer look…
358359360
357
I love the way it looks in the room with the painted black chair—it really completes the corner!!
368
Truth be told, I had to clean off all of little Miss’ stuff off her board to take the picture—she loves pinning up pictures of her friends, letters, and artwork.  At least it gets used, right?

I am linking to the following parties!
Ladybird Ln I Heart Nap Time Keeping It Simple Raising Oranges Making A Diamond in the Stuff Pincushion Creations A Crafty Soiree Fine Craft Guild mop it up mondays Creative Itch Photobucket It's OVerflowing Whipperberry Somewhat Simple HookingupwithHoH Sew Happy Geek The Taylor House Design Dazzle wednesday's wowzers One Artsy Mama Goings on in Texas I'm Topsy Turvy
Skip To My Lou
Pin It!

7 comments:

  1. What a cute idea. Love the the push pins, they are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a cute board & flower push pins!! I would love for you to link up at my blog party going on now! You can enter to win a Hobby Lobby gift card while you're there! :)

    Jill
    www.jillifyit.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so cute...I love the idea of the fabric flowers as pins! It looks perfect with that desk!! LOVE the colors! I'm also your newest follower from the Jillify It Party. If you get a chance, I'd love you to stop by my blog & maybe follow along too!
    Sally
    loveofhomes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute! Your push pins match perfectly, I can see why she enjoys using it so much. Thanks so much for sharing at Etcetorize!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh it looks lovely! I love the little flower pins, so cute :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your comments, I love hearing from you and I love new followers!