Thursday, March 22, 2012

My favorite kitchen appliance…


This is truly one of the loves of my life, my Zojirushi Bread Machine!!  Now you may be asking what a bread machine has to do with my blog about crafts??  Here’s how things work in my house:  The more $$ and time I save in my day to day routine=the more $$ and time I have for crafts.  So my Zojirushi becomes my best friend because it saves me time and money!!
I have been using a Zojirushi for 4 years now, and I have not bought a regular loaf of bread in 4 years!!  I usually make at least 2 loaves a week, most of the time it is three or four.  We make 1 that is whole wheat, and 2 that our white.  And we have made a lot of Gluten Free bread loves too.
So if a hearty, healthy bread loaf from the store costs $2.50, and our family eats 3 loaves a week, that means we spend $390 a year on bread.  There are just five ingredients in the bread that we make…
381
And here’s what it looks like when it is done…
387

It is a 2 pound loaf and you can adjust the settings for what type of crust you like (light, medium, dark).  We use an electric knife to slice it up.
Look at this yummy bread!!!
397
I love that it takes me 5 minutes or less to throw the ingredients in and then I have hot bread 2 hours later.  You can also use the timer and put the ingredients in the night before and then wake up to fresh, hot bread in the morning!!
So now that I’ve told you how great it is, I’ll tell you the price—it runs about $270, although I saw it on Amazon yesterday for $230.  I know sounds pricey, but it has been worth the money we’ve saved on buying store bread and I love that we always have fresh, homemade bread.
We’ve also made apple-oat bread, and chocolate chip bread that were really yummy.
The other function that we love, is that it makes great pizza dough in 45 minutes!!  And great cinnamon roll dough!!
I found a great breadstick recipe for my machine from Cooking on Clover Lane and so now we make them all the time too. 
Speaking of bread, I need to go make some…
Pin It!

3 comments:

  1. I buy bread from my neighbor 2 times a week, I do have a bread machine but I have only used it to make gluten free bread. I need to try making regular bread to save me some $. Nothing is better than homemade bread!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would really like to try your receipe if you are will to post it, I have an underused bread machine that I would really like some good receipes for... Thanks Laura B.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura,

      Here's the bread recipe that I use--but be sure your machine can handle a 2 lb. loaf--most bread machines are only 1 lb. I hope you like it!!

      1 1/3 cup water, 4 1/4 cup bread flour, 3 tbsp. sugar, 2 tsp. salt, 2 tbsp. olive oil, 2 tsp. SAF yeast

      Shannon@SewSweetCottage

      Delete

Thanks for sharing your comments, I love hearing from you and I love new followers!