Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Lighting for the Girls’ Room…


***My blog has moved over to WordPress.com!  Follow the link http://www.sewsweetcottage.com/2012/03/lighting-for-the-girls-room/and move on over with me!!***


Have you seen the great DIY ruffled lamp shades out there?  Here’s one from Tatertots and Jello.  I loved the idea, and so I grabbed an old lamp from IKEA and started cutting strips of fabric to make one.  Once I ironed the strips and sat down to start gluing them on the shade, I realized that the patterned fabric I chose wouldn’t show at all if I ruffled it!!  I love the ruffle look, but it would have been a waste to use my patterned fabric when no one would see it!
On to plan B!!  I decided to cut some contrasting fabric strips and just glue them on horizontally instead of vertically…
016
Once I started to hot glue the fabric strips, they naturally gathered because of the curve of the lamp shade—perfect!! Then I added red and white polka-dot ribbon to the top and jumbo red rick rack to the bottom edge.
012
The other lighting in the girls’ room that we changed was our standard, builder grade flush mount fixture.  I found a brushed nickel finish chandelier on Craigslist for $35 and spray painted it candy apple green and then removed all the glass light bulb covers.  My dad helped me add some length to the wiring and chain so that it could hang lower in the room.  Then I made a cover for the chain and wiring out of coordinating fabric—which made it look more custom!!
I don’t have a before picture but here’s what it looks like now…
307
It was the very last thing I finished in the room, and it added the perfect amount of whimsical charm, and it gives off the best soft lighting!

I am linking to the following parties!
Ladybird Ln I Heart Nap Time Keeping It Simple Raising Oranges Making A Diamond in the Stuff Pincushion Creations A Crafty Soiree Fine Craft Guild mop it up mondays Creative Itch Photobucket It's OVerflowing Whipperberry Somewhat Simple HookingupwithHoH Sew Happy Geek The Taylor House Design Dazzle wednesday's wowzers One Artsy Mama Goings on in Texas I'm Topsy Turvy Skip To My Lou
Pin It!

6 comments:

  1. Looooove! And thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving that sweet comment by the way! I'm now following you on Pinterest, too : )
    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job! I need to do this to some of my icky ones!
    You should join me for Handmade 52 at htttp://raisingoranges.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty! The chandy is fabulous in the bright color too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! I'm visiting from Design Dazzle. You've given me some great ideas for sprucing up my daughter's boring lamp. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I adore this light! Such pretty colors - now I want to make one, too!
    Thanks for linking this week!
    Stacey of Embracing Change

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so cute! I also love the color of your chandelier! Thanks for sharing over at The Winthrop Chronicles!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your comments, I love hearing from you and I love new followers!