Saturday, March 10, 2012

Sew and Show Saturday—#1. Bull’s Eye Quilt

***My blog has moved over to WordPress.com!  Follow the link http://www.sewsweetcottage.com/2012/03/sew-and-show-saturday-1-bulls-eye-quilt/and move on over with me!!***
My mom and I started quilting when I was about 15 years old and we were hooked the minute we started.  I have always loved piecing quilts together and coordinating fabrics, and my mom does exquisite applique and her hand quilting is amazing.  I’ve decided to make Saturdays my “Sew and Show” day.  I will be sharing quilts that I have made, and showcasing my mom’s quilts as well.  Some of them have a story behind them, and some of them are just eye candy beautiful;)  I hope they inspire you to go sew something sweet!
This Bull’s Eye quilt was part of a class I took.  I ended up redesigning the quilt because I didn’t have enough fabric to make all the Bull’s Eyes.  I introduced some 9 patch squares in black fabric to separate the Bull’s Eyes and create a diagonal pattern.  Then I backed the quilt with a soft, brushed cotton plaid fabric.  I wanted it to be super comfortable because it was the first quilt I made for my husband.  I made it for him when we were newly married and he was still in school—I thought he needed a study blanket!
quilt 030quilt 039quilt 043
I had someone else machine quilt this for me with concentric circles around the Bull’s Eyes and then stippling on the 9 patch squares.  The border is pieced with browns and reds and quilted with an oak leaf pattern.
Because of the intentional rough sewn edges of the Bull’s Eyes, it frays every time you wash it and makes it looked worn and loved!  That’s my favorite part of this quilt!

I am linking to the following parties!
Ladybird Ln I Heart Nap Time Keeping It Simple Raising Oranges Making A Diamond in the Stuff Pincushion Creations A Crafty Soiree Fine Craft Guild mop it up mondays Creative Itch Photobucket It's OVerflowing Whipperberry Somewhat Simple HookingupwithHoH Sew Happy Geek The Taylor House Design Dazzle wednesday's wowzers One Artsy Mama Goings on in Texas I'm Topsy Turvy
Skip To My Lou
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your comments, I love hearing from you and I love new followers!