Monday, March 5, 2012

Dr. Seuss Party

***My blog has moved over to WordPress.com!  Follow the link http://www.sewsweetcottage.com/2012/03/dr-seuss-party/and move on over with me!!***

Before you start thinking, a Seuss party??  Who has time for a Dr. Seuss party??  I’m going to explain a little bit about “family time” at our house.  We love spending time together as a family, but there have been many occasions when Justin didn’t want to be with us as a family.  Kind of the nature of Autism, the kid wants to be alone sometimes!  And it’s a struggle as a parent to think, “do I let him be alone because it makes him happy, or force him to be with us so he’s miserable?”  It took my husband and I a few years to kind of wrap our minds around that thought process and find a balance that works for us.  So, instead of going out to eat, or family outings, or family vacations—we usually plan things at home where we know our success rate is the highest for kids being happy during the activity:)  This means celebrating Dr. Seuss Day!!  Hooray!!
I ended up making a skirt for my little miss to match my baby girl’s dress, she wore it to school for their Dr. Seuss party…
dr seuss 088
And I made my boys “Thing 1” and “Thing 2” shirts, inspired by my sister-in-law who made “Thing 1, 2, 3, 4” shirts for her four boys last Halloween.  I just used permanent marker on sticky backed white felt and it worked out great!
dr seuss 032
Can you tell how much they love them? ;)
Then we had a Seuss lunch and snacks before we watched Horton Hears a Who on our Seuss pillow beds—of course!
dr seuss 001dr seuss 006dr seuss 015
We had “Thing 1 and 2” and “Star-bellied Sneetches” Cupcakes.  The “Grinch Hearts, two sizes too small!” are Rice Krispie treats with heart marshmallows on top of green frosting. We also had “Hop on Pop popcorn” and “WhoVille Roast Beast Tacos” and “One fish, Two fish, Red fish” Swedish fish.
dr seuss 098
Little miss has always loved a good party, so she decided she would make place mats for everyone—so cute!
dr seuss 101
We had a great time watching the movie and eating our snacks.  Can’t wait to do it again next year!!

Besides showing the love for Dr. Seuss this weekend, I was honored to receive the Liebster Blog award from Jessica @Nouvelle Vie Furniture.  Thanks Jessica! She has an amazing blog about refinishing furniture. 
Liebster_Blog_award
I am now passing the Liebster Blog award on to three of my favorite bloggers. 
Check out Melanie @Aristocrafty and her sweet tea party for her daughter’s birthday. 
I also follow Sierra @Blue Robin Cottage and her beautiful vintage flair and handmade dolls. 
And I can’t leave out Crystal @Budget Beautiful Bungalow who always has inexpensive ways to make her house look beautiful, and fun ideas like a dress up corner in her son’s room! 
Thanks for checking out my friend’s blogs!

I am linking to the following parties!
Ladybird Ln I Heart Nap Time Keeping It Simple Raising Oranges Making A Diamond in the Stuff Pincushion Creations A Crafty Soiree Fine Craft Guild mop it up mondays Creative Itch Photobucket It's OVerflowing Whipperberry Somewhat Simple HookingupwithHoH Sew Happy Geek The Taylor House Design Dazzle wednesday's wowzers One Artsy Mama Goings on in Texas I'm Topsy Turvy Skip To My Lou
Pin It!

1 comment:

  1. Oh Shani! I love all of these super cute ideas. I love Dr. Suess and wish I were 1/2 as crafty as you. Can't wait to read the rest of your blog. Love you!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your comments, I love hearing from you and I love new followers!